I would call myself a Harry Potter enthusiast, others call me Harry Potter obsessed. I have never been beaten in a “Harry Potter Trivia-off,” and yes, this is a real thing my brother and I do. He still talks about the time that he ALMOST got me with a question (it took me a minute longer than usual).
With so much happening in the magical world that J.K. Rowling created, I would be remiss not to talk about what is going on.
This ambiguously difficult word to pronounce, is the name of the new creation that J.K. Rowling released this week on Pottermore. Ilvermorny is a North American school, based in Massachusetts that somewhat resembles that of Hogwarts. When the news reached me that the Ilvermorny details, houses, background and sorting quiz had been released on Pottermore, I was very anxious about looking into it. I am somewhat of a Harry Potter purist and I didn’t want to ruin my love for it by disliking this new American addition. However, after reading the Ilvermorny foundation story- I was pleased with the thought and detail that went into such a short story. Rowling was able to connect the original Harry Potter series with the foundation of Ilvermorny in a way that the reader feels an instant connect with Ilvermorny, but not in a heavy handed way. Apart from the actual story of who founded this school and how it happened, I appreciated the noted differenced between Hogwarts and Ilvermorny. Listed below are a couple of these differences:
1. (School Houses) Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytherin
2. (House Sorting Ceremony) Sorting hat selects single house for the student
3. (Wand Usage) The underage wizard buys their wand in Diagon Alley before the school year. They are able to take their wand home with them during breaks.
4. (School Uniform) School robes are black
1. (School Houses) Thunderbird, Wampus, Horned Serpent, Pukwudgie
2. (House Sorting Ceremony) Student stands on the school crest depicting the 4-houses. The house selects the student by lighting up its piece of the crest. Multiple houses can select a prospective student. When that happens, the student can chose which house they would like to belong to.
3. (Wand Usage) After the students are sorted, they are led into a room where they select (or are selected by) their wands. The students have to leave their wands at school during breaks and summer vacation until they become of age at 17.
4. (School Uniform) School robes are blue and cranberry red
What do you think? Did you like this new addition? What house did you get sorted into?