A large number of movies have shocking acrobatics, explosions and detailed fight sequences. Though often times these sequences are shot using professional stunt artists or artificially created using CGI, there are actors who pride themselves in doing their own stunts, but in doing so they risk serious injury which can happen from time to time if even the smallest thing goes wrong.
Russell Crowe- Cinderella Man
– It is almost poetic that Crowe actually got hurt during the filming of his gritty great depression time piece. Before filming, Crowe went through intense training in the same manner as the old time boxers. Crowe dislocated his shoulder and had to have surgery to fix the damage, pushing back the movie two months.
Sienna Miller- G.I Joe
-Sienna suffered two separate injuries during the filming on the set of “G.I. Joe.” The first one involved her slipping on a rubber bullet and severely spraining her hand while she was attempting to safely break her fall resulting in it being greatly swollen, painful and limiting during filming. Her second injury involved the girls (her cleavage area) catching on fire while she was wearing her cat suit during an explosion gone awry. For those gents out there reading this, that would be like your spedo catching fire, it is equally as important and traumatizing.
George Clooney- Syriana
– Clooney suffered from a fractured spine during the making of this movie. Because of the severity of the injury he had to remain completely immobile for over a month. On top of this, Clooney had a persistent migraine while bed ridden and even admits to thoughts of suicide because of the intensity of it.
Leonardo DiCaprio- Django Unchained
-There is a scene towards the end of the movie where DiCaprio slams his hand hard on the table. This was just meant to be an emphatic gesture, but it went somewhat south when his hand met with broken glass on the table. His hand immediately starts to gush blood as it was a fairly substantial injury. Though this was obviously not supposed to happen, because DiCaprio stayed in character during the process, this injury is left in the movie, giving the already serious scene a little more of a morbid quality.
Brad Pitt- Se7en– Troy
-This aging heart throb has more than one serious filming injury that he can blame on his movie career. While filming “Se7en” with co-star Morgan Freeman, Pitt broke his arm. Normally an injury like this would halt shooting for at least a month. Since the producers did not want to halt production, they decided to write the broken arm into the script.
– Troy: The injury that Pitt sustained in Troy is possibly the most ironic movie injury I have ever heard of. While Pitt was shooting the climax fight sequence between Achilles (Pitt) and Hector (Eric Bana), Pitt performed a difficult jumping strike against Bana and landed awkwardly, tearing his Achilles Tendon….! (For those of you unfamiliar with Greek mythology it is said that Achilles was invincible except for his heel which is where he eventually gets shot and bleeds out. The Achilles tendon is named after him.) What I take away from this is yes, the Greek gods are real, and they mock us. For those of you familiar with sports, you know that this is no light injury.
|Jennifer Aniston has a voodoo doll like this
Pitt was sidelined for months because he was limited to hobbling around which greatly inhibited his ability to run around trolling the people of Troy. When Pitt did come back they celebrated his return by shooting the scene where Legolas lances an arrow through Achilles’ eponymous heel, the precise location of Pitt’s injury. Irony People!
Nicole Kidman- Moulin Rouge
– During the filming of this movie Kidman ended up with her knee in a cast and two broken ribs. After this, all of a sudden a lot of her scenes she is sitting down.
Halle Berry- Gothika
-Berry and Robert Downey Jr’s scene in the mental ward became all too real when he is twisting her arm, trying to get her into a cot. While filming, they heard a popping noise that sent Berry straight to the hospital where they found out she had a broken arm.
Viggo Mortensen- The Lord of the Rings
– On this project there were a huge number of injuries that plagued all those involved. That can happen when you give a whole group of boys real swords and tell them to pretend fight. In the second film “The Two Towers” during the Orc pyre scene, Viggo’s character kicks a helmet out of frustration, but to everyone’s surprise he also let out a scream and fell to his knees. Jackson, the director, thought this was inspired acting, he found out later that Viggo had broken two of his toes when he kicked the helmet. Later in this same movie, Viggo’s character floats down a river. Though the stunt team tested it first to make sure it was safe, they did not account for the weight of Mortensen’s costume, armor and sword. When he tried it he was quickly weighed down and sucked under the current. He was unconscious and half drowned when the film crew recovered him. He also had is front tooth cut in half during a battle sequence, Legolas broke a rib, Sam had his foot punctured all the way through with a piece of glass… fun for everyone!
Joseph Gordon-Levitt- Premium Rush
– He flew through the back window of a Taxi on set after crashing his bike. He had to get 13 stitches to fix the large laceration.
|The Clippers protesting their owner before game 4 (2 days before Silvers judgement)
-On a more serious note the NBA has taken over the news and social media platforms the past few days, not because of this years phenomenal playoffs, but for a tragic reason. The owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, Donald Sterling, was recorded in a conversation with his girlfriend in which he reveals himself as having hateful racist views. The league was talking about nothing but this case the last few days, today the new NBA commissioner Adam Silver took swift action against Sterling. Silver fined Sterling 2.5 million dollars, suspended him for life (meaning he can’t set foot in a basketball arena or have anything else to do with the NBA) and finally Silver expressed his confidence in obtaining the votes necessary to force Sterling to sell the Los Angeles Clippers. After a very rough few days, it is heartening to see such a tough stance taken. Bravo Adam Silver!